The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) along with Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) recently announced that the Philippine Team will join the Asian Games 2018 after originally backing out about two weeks ago.
All PBA fans were disappointed after SBP officially announced via twitter that the Philippine Basketball team won’t play in any part of this year’s Asian Games.
However, in a sudden turn of events, SBP and PBA sang a different tune last Sunday. They will send a team for the Asian Games 2018 in Indonesia after all.
“We realized that there is a strong clamor from basketball fans, and since we are the house of basketball, we need to really look at that clamor. Galing ‘yan sa puso ng mga fans,” according to Philippine Olympic Committee President Ricky Vargas.
Moreover, SBP president Al Panlilio added, “It was a very difficult and complex decision that we made, and it was unpopular. But with the clamor of the public, at the end of the day, para sa bayan ito.”
According to reports, former head coach of Rain or Shine Yeng Guiao will lead the Philippine team.
In addition, the official list of players will consist of Rain or Shine Elasto Painters together with two Gilas Cadets and several PBA players.
Here are the 14 players that will take part in Asian Games 2018.
- Gabe Norwood – Rain or Shine
- James Yap – Rain or Shine
- Beau Belga – Rain or Shine
- Raymond Almazan – Rain or Shine
- Chris Tiu – Rain or Shine
- Maverick Ahanmisi – Rain or Shine
- Paul Lee – Magnolia Hotshots
- JP Erram – Blackwater Elite
- Christian Standhardinger – San Miguel Beermen
- Stanley Pringle – GlobalPort Batang Pier
- Don Trollano – TNT KaTropa
- Asi Taulava – NLEX Road Warriors
- Kobe Paras (Cadet) – Gilas Pilipinas
- Ricci Rivero (Cadet) – Gilas Pilipinas
However, this list is not yet final as the line up will be trimmed down to 12 players before the team leaves for Indonesia.